It’s not truly summer for me unless I’m kicking back on my deck with my friends and family, a margarita in one hand and a tortilla chip loaded with guac on the other. Guacamole and margaritas encompass the perfect summer snack; cool, refreshing, and sinfully indulgent. Personally, I like to deviate from the classic recipes, always looking to add a unique twist that keeps them fresh and contemporary. By adding blackberries to the signature lime margarita, it challenges the conventional tropical flavors of the drink and gives it a more earthy taste. And as for the guacamole, who needs to conform to basic tomato and red onion garnishes when you can use cilantro, jalapeño, and tomatillo (though I hate tomatoes, so I may be a tad bit biased)? The next time you’re entertaining, or even having a quiet night alone after work, treat yourself to this super easy snack. All you need is a blender, a big appetite, and comfy chair to sit back and enjoy.
Hallinan’s Famous Blackberry Margaritas:
3/4 cup tequila
1/4 cup of Triple Sec
1/2 can of limeade
1/2 cup of blackberries
- Fill the blender halfway with ice. Then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Pulse until fully blended and smooth, but still with an icy texture.
Creamy Tomatillo Guacamole:
Original Food Network Magazine recipe here. Prep time 10 minutes, serves 4.
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup chopped white onion
1 chopped jalapeño
3 chopped avocados
1 tsp. kosher salt
A splash of tomatillo cooking water
- Boil 4 husked and rinsed tomatillos in a pot of water for 5 minutes.
- Puree the cilantro, onion, jalapeño and tomatillo water in the blender.
- Drain the tomatillos, add them to the blender and pulse.
- Add the avocados and salt, pulse again.
- Season with salt to taste, serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
*Tip: The guacamole also works great on toast with a fried egg and hot sauce.